Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director is the key management leader of the Original Six Foundation. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading the Original Six Foundation in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Trustees.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Financial Performance and Donor Recruitment: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support the Original Six Foundation’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the Original Six Foundation, to include working alongside the Foundation’s accountant and Board Treasurer to provide quarterly reports that reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for donor recruitment and maintenance including tax acknowledgment correspondence.
- Organize and execute fundraising events and efforts on behalf of the Original Six Foundation.
- Responsible for finding funding opportunities and writing polished proposals to earn grant money.
Organization Mission, Strategy, and Public Relations: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of the Original Six Foundation’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission of ensuring every child is provided a quality education regardless of where they are born and raised.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the Original Six Foundation can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the Original Six Foundation’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations statewide.
- Responsible for ensuring the Original Six Foundation website is up-to-date and social media accounts are active.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for effective administration of the Original Six Foundation operations including rent, insurance, business license, etc.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Trustees to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Supervise, collaborate with the Original Six Foundation Program Director.
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Serve as the Original Six Foundation’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the Original Six Foundation’s mission.
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
Professional Qualifications Needed
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Trustees.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff and volunteers.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Grant writing experience preferred.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Training using Blackbaud’s eTapestry donor management software is helpful, but not required.
Original Six Foundation Mission Statement
Children across South Carolina deserve a quality education regardless of where they are born and raised. Original Six Foundation works to improve education by identifying gaps and filling them through hands-on engagement and resources.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit a resume for consideration by emailing Nicki Hood at [email protected].