How and when to amend your SC Individual Income Tax return

May 3, 2023

What you need to know:

  • Generally, you should amend a return if an IRS audit changes your state return, or when there are changes to your income, deductions, credits, payments, or filing status.
  • If you need to amend, file a new Individual Income Tax return with the corrected information. Check to see if your software provider allows you to file an amended return electronically.
  • If you have money due the state as a result of your amended return, pay it when you file to avoid additional interest and penalties.

Mistakes happen, even on your tax forms. That is why the South Carolina Department of Revenue (SCDOR) wants you to know what to do if you find a mistake after you file your initial Individual Income Tax return. Here are some tips on when to file an amended return and how to do it.

Read the full release here or view all SCDOR Tax Tips.