Academic Transfer Coordinator
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Academic Transfer Coordinator is responsible for advising, coaching, and providing academic interventions for college transfer students. This position will perform activities that will assist transfer students in their transition from application to USC Upstate through to graduation and increase their sense of belonging. The transfer coordinator will provide proactive advising of new and continuing transfer students to ensure student success. This position will be responsible for monitoring transfer student persistence, assessing retention issues, and implementing intervention services.
• Provide proactive advising, outreach, and academic coaching of transfer students. Key aspects include maintenance of the integrity of academic policies while being a student advocate and fostering a culture of student responsibility and success, providing students with information about possible consequences of academic decisions, and creating plans of study. Must maintain current knowledge of degree programs.
• Complete preliminary evaluation of transfer credits and degree applicability in collaboration with Department Chairs and Deans for both prospective and admitted students. Ensure maximum transfer of coursework and optimized degree audit once admitted. Additionally, serve as a liaison between academic departments, admissions, and other recruitment personnel to facilitate timely and accurate communication with students. Assume additional advising caseloads during position vacancies or other occasions
• Develop and lead weekly seminars and workshops on issues for transfer students. Additionally, plan at least two transfer student events per semester.
• Travel to and attend off-campus outreach and recruiting events and liaise with advisors at partner schools to create seamless transfer pathways for students.
• Maintains accurate data for reports and informed decision-making. Keeps advising statistics, work schedule, and other reporting documents up-to-date. Collect quantitative and qualitative data related to each student’s progress through the major and contribute to departmental reports on student success, persistence, and retention. Monitor and respond to students using advising software (Starfish). Additionally, use advising software to identify students at-risk and provide appropriate interventions.
• Teach targeted university college success course for transfer students.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree required with a minimum of 1-year experience in higher education academic advising, academic support services, first-year experience programming, career counseling or related field. A successful background check is required.
USC Upstate standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. However, this position will involve some evening, weekend, events, and/or conference travel.
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred exceptional leadership skills and excellent computer skills, written, and oral communication skills.
Salary: $35,360 – $46,500; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/137525
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.