Associate Director for Residence Education and Student Engagement
University of South Carolina Upstate
Under the leadership of the Director of Housing and Residential Life, the Associate Director for Residence Education and Student Engagement (ADRESE) provides the leadership for the residential education processes and student engagement within the department of Housing and Residential Life. They are responsible for all of the student staff processes (recruitment, selection, hiring, HR paperwork, training, and ongoing development) for all of the student staff employed within the Department including the Residence Life Graduate Assistant staff/Assistant Hall Directors (RLGA/AHD, 2-3); Residential Life Programming Assistant (RLPA, 1); Resident Advisers (RAs, 20-28); Desk Assistants/Overnight Desk Assistants/Student Office Assistants (DAs/ONDAs/SOAs, 50+); Community Administrative Assistants (CAAs, 6); Summer Conference Assistants (SCAs, 10); Summer Facilities & Paint Crew (5), as well as coordinates the hiring of the ACUHO-I Interns each summer (1-3). Develop USC Upstate’s Living Learning Communities and theme housing units working with various faculty and campus partners to edify their success. Responsible for partnering with the Honors Program and collaborating with University College faculty to enhance the Honors LLC/Community of Scholars. Supervises the Residential Life Programming Assistant and together coordinates all staff programming efforts and programming purchasing as well as tracking the programming model. Utilize Archeological Dig to develop a Residential Curriculum to tie programming with our Living Learning Communities and the academic mission of the University.
Advise the Association of Residential Communities (ARC) and travels with the students to state, regional and national conferences. Create the on-call schedule (pro/grad) and also serves in the on-call rotation for after-hour emergencies. Interprets, disseminates, and enforces USC Upstate Code of Student Conduct and University policies and procedures as they pertain to housing conduct; may adjudicate conduct cases as necessary. Provides emergency response/crisis intervention to the housing community as needed. Participates in on-going strategic planning process and develops long-term goals and annual objectives related to residence education and student leadership. Oversees the development and marketing of educational initiatives, programs, LLCs and training for housing and residential life. Manage assessment processes. They will coordinate with the Associate Director for Intercultural Education and Engagement (Office of Student Involvement) on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts for Housing and Residential Life. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including department or divisional committee work. Attends appropriate organization functions and campus events. Supports additional Housing/Residential Life and Student Affairs events, as directed.
• Lead department processes for recruitment, selection, and training of all undergraduate student staff (RA, CAA, DA, SOA, SCA, student summer facilities/paint crew) and provides department-wide developmental activities/in-services for all student staff and ensure consistent training, evaluation and selection occurs department-wide; upwards of 80 student employees. Aids with evaluation of all student staff. Coordinate the hiring processes with Human Resources (offer letters, ePAFs, terminations, etc.)
o Recruit, select, and train the Residential Life Graduate Assistants or Assistant Hall Directors (2-3) and the Residential Life Programming Assistant (1). Supervise and evaluate the RLPA. Provide guidance with the competency development in residence education/student engagement and leadership functions for the RLGA/AHD/RLPA staff. Manage USC Upstate’ s involvement in the GARP process (Graduate Assistant Recruitment Process) as orchestrated by USC Columbia. Coordinate the hiring processes with Human Resources (temp hire offer letters, terminations, etc.). Coordinate the ACUHO·I Summer Intern process (1-3) and provide supervision to the intern for Residence Education.
o Lead the professional development and ongoing training for the Professional staff monthly. This may include making presentations or organizing other facilitation.
• Direct the development and implementation of a comprehensive educational/social/cultural/recreational programming model including weekly promotion and programming purchasing, tracking the programming model (with RLPA). Provide data on student engagement and retention efforts from programming. Counsels and advises resident advisers on program development/event planning, bulletin boards and passive programming, marketing, evaluation/submitting reports and program completion. Manages and updates a comprehensive programming calendar to publicize events to Housing residents. Works with resident advisers, staff, faculty, students and outside professionals to provide programming designed to foster growth and development of students. Manages programming budget. Track programming requirements and produce reports utilizing data extrapolation from Banner/StarRez/Presence and PowerBI.
o Lead the further development of USC Upstate’s 15 Living Learning Communities and theme housing units working with faculty and various campus partners to edify their success. Partner with Honors Program and University College to enhance the Community of Scholars and Honors LLC floor; coordinating academic programming for that specific community.
o Develop and lead marketing efforts of educational initiatives, programs, LLCs and training for housing and residential life (print media, web, social media).
o Works with residents individually and in groups to facilitate their personal and academic success. Works closely with the Resident Advisers (RA’s) in providing support and services to residents and in developing a supportive and engaging living/learning environment. Serves as Housing liaison with other campus offices to facilitate resident knowledge of services offered.
• Recruit leaders and members for the Association of Residential Communities student organization; attend exec meetings and general body meetings weekly. Advise organization and participate in their programming efforts across the three residential communities. Lead summer training retreat with officers and Fall Leadership training with membership. Travel with organization to CARH, SAACURH and NACURH conferences annually. Provide data on student engagement with organization.
• Manage assessment processes providing assessment data supporting the following operations: MoveUP survey of students and families, effectiveness of training efforts and Resident Satisfaction surveys each semester. Responsible for compiling the Executive Summaries for each and all data collected. Identify mechanisms to regularly assess needs, satisfaction and learning outcomes of residents and our LLC outreach.
o Participates in on-going strategic planning process and develops short and long-term plans and annual objectives related to residence education and student leadership.
• Creates the on-call professional/graduate staff on-call schedule. Participates in on-call rotation. Provides emergency response/crisis intervention to the housing community, residents and facilities as an after-hours onsite manager.
o Interprets, disseminates, and enforces Guide to Residential Living policies, the USC Upstate Code of Student Conduct and University policies and procedures as they pertain to housing conduct; may adjudicate conduct cases as necessary.
• Perform administrative responsibilities related to housing/residential life/residence education/student engagement as an HRL team member to support large-scale events including MoveUP (Aug opening), January Opening, move out (both semesters), Orientation (OAR), Big Green Welcome Events for HRL, Late Night Breakfast (both semesters) and other HRL Department/Division of Student Affairs wide events.
o Represent the department, participate and assist with Open House/Fab Friday (and other Enrollment Services events) coverage; may present sessions. Attends appropriate organization functions and campus events.
o Lead or serve on committees/work groups as necessary for department and Division of Student Affairs. Supports additional Housing/Residential Life and Student Affairs events, projects and analysis as directed, e.g. launch and further develop USC Upstate Archeological dig in development of a Residential Curriculum to tie programming with our LLCs and the academic mission of the University. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned. Provide support and perform other duties as assigned by Director.
Master’s degree in Student Personnel Services or related field and 2 years of related experience post Master’s, or bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience in Residence Life post-Bachelor’s. Valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and a successful background check are required.
When on-call, available to students and others on campus in the event of an emergency.
Experience in campus housing/residential life. Experience with Banner, StarRez (Housing Assignment Software) Maxient (Student Conduct Software), CS Gold, Persona.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/135272
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.