Director of Online Learning and Program Support
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Director of Online Learning and Program Support offers a variety of services to faculty and students to facilitate quality design, delivery, accreditation, compliance, enrollment growth, and completion of online courses and programs. The Director provides strategic leadership to faculty members and academic units to manage develop and coordinate the institution’s portfolio of distance education programs and courses.
The director’s primary responsibility is to ensure high-quality online and hybrid educational experiences by implementing standards at the institutional level and coordinating the assessment and evaluation of online courses and programs, including certifying faculty members to teach online. The director further coordinates or supports processes and reports necessary for compliance with accreditation and authorization related to distance education (e.g. SACSCOC, SC CHE, NC SARA, QM) and for meeting institutional goals in the USC Upstate strategic plan. The director applies expertise and up-to-date knowledge of trends and best practices to establish, implement, and coordinate policies and professional development workshops and programs for assessment of program demand, program launch, program growth, and course and program design and development.
For students, the Director of Online Learning and Program Support coordinates with Enrollment Services, other support units, and any necessary third-party technology vendors to develop and deliver online orientation programs and online readiness and support services to foster a cohesive online learning community for all distance-based USC Upstate students.
The Director of Online Learning and Support reports to the Executive Director for Academic Innovation and Faculty Support.
• Administer, create, and deliver responsive and high-quality faculty training and course development programs for online teaching certification, course design, assessment, and adoption of online pedagogical best practices and of educational technology tools and resources to meet the demand for qualified faculty members to teach increasing numbers of online courses. Maintain and provide support, including online guides and tip sheets, for the Learning Management System (LMS) and third-party tools, including the Lightboard Studio, and other educational technologies.
• Provide leadership in online, hybrid, and HyFlex course and program quality at the institutional and academic unit levels. Collaborate with academic leadership, faculty members, faculty governance, and colleagues in the Center for Academic Innovation and Faculty Support on professional development initiatives and programs related to course and academic program quality standards, ADA compliance, Universal Design for Learning, Quality Matters (QM) quality assessment, and online program evaluation and continuous improvement. These efforts will include QM internal reviews, certifications, and coordination of course development grants and redesign efforts to meet QM standards.
• Coordinate with Enrollment Services, advisors, recruiters, the Distance Education Advisory Group, the USC Upstate Palmetto College Group, UofSC System Palmetto College, and other administrative and academic units for strategic enrollment planning, marketing, recruitment, transfer support, and retention in online academic programs.
• Coordinate and supervise student workers and online learning and support staff in the support of consultation services, course development projects, media production for courses and programs, and related services.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree in Educational Technology, Instructional Design, or a related field, and two or more years of experience in a combination of instructional design, online program development, and student/faculty support, including online learning environments and learning management systems; or Ph.D./D.Ed. in any field, research experience and expertise in area(s) of online education, online program development, and leadership experience in faculty development related to online learning environments and/or learning management systems. Successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Three or more years of experience in higher education, especially with leadership experience in Blackboard LMS. Video production and editing experience. Familiarity with ADA accessibility and media standards, and Quality Matters.
Salary: $52,357 – $72,000; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Work Schedule: Telecommuting eligible. Able to work at the USC Upstate campus, Spartanburg, SC, approximately four days a month as needed to complete tasks with on-campus stakeholders. Must Reside in South Carolina.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/130674
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.