External Information Systems Engineer I
University of South Carolina Upstate
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor of Information Technology and CIO, the External Information Systems Engineer I plans, creates, and manages external university information data transformations and migration to and from external information systems. Designs external data transformation and feeds with the guiding principles of information security, process automation, cloud-first, and user experience. Engineer leads systems design and cultivates a strong team by developing talent in junior team members through guided learning environments by creating data solutions for university information systems. Provides project management oversight for onboarding external systems integrations. Engineer leads team to provide support post-go-live for external information systems integrations through planning, designing, executing, and documentation of system upgrades, changes, remediations, and deprecations.
• Leads a team of FTE, temporary, and student employees through technical training in using and modifying the University’s data systems. Develops employee talent and experience through teaching systems development lifecycle procedures, best practices in project management, and resource management. Provides advice for maintaining proper data security, privacy, and usage. Performs employee performance reporting and issue mitigation.
• The engineer assesses the need to integrate University and external data systems, then develops plans to execute and manage the information integration. Creates enterprise integration solutions by partnering with the USC Columbia integration team and using IBM Cognos, MS SQL Service Integration Services, MS SQL Management Server Studio, MS Access, and other information management tools.
• Designs automated and secure solutions that extract, transform, and load data into various information systems. Serves as the advanced support person when USC Columbia information systems need to interface with an external partner of USC Upstate through the Student Systems Development Team.
• Serves as project manager to create an information systems interface and lead cross-functional teams and works to keep projects in scope, performs quality assurance, controls change management, manages project risks, communicates project information to team members, and vets the quality of deliverables. Manages multiple projects simultaneously while ensuring each project meets the project goals.
• Generates operational reports and datasets for information integration tasks. The engineer designs and creates logistical queries to transform data to operationalize information. Evaluates complex data solution projects and determine the logical data flows.
• Fulfill other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and two years related work experience in systems analysis methodologies including application design and development, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge and experience in cloud-hosted SQL environment information systems integration, data reporting in IBM Cognos, MS SSIS workflows, and payment card integrations. Previous working experience in higher education highly desirable.
Salary: $56,744; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/140581
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.