Financial Aid Loan Counselor
University of South Carolina Upstate
Responsible for the daily operation of all Federal Direct Loans (Stafford, Plus and Perkins) the SC Teacher Loan Programs, and private loan programs on all lender platforms to include the ELM site. Performs FA counseling to prospects, parents, students, faculty, and staff. Performs file review, required follow-up and verification of data as required by the Department of Education. Responsible for the oversight of summer school processing and awarding. Responsible for the oversight of transfer student processing within NSLDS. Responsible for the awarding of the Teaching Fellows program. Responsible for the oversight of the Study Abroad Program.
• Counsels prospects, parents, students, faculty, and staff.
• Reviews student files for packaging. Prep system for follow-up correspondence to students. Ensure system is properly coded for electronic submission to CPS, lenders and guarantors, and posting of awards from Financial Aid system.
• Monitors loan approvals, rejects, and denials via paper and internet. Responsible for adjustment to loans and other sources of aid. Reconciles loan records and ensures proper integrity of Financial Aid system. Responsible for the setup and processing of all loan funds for all lender platforms (to include the Educational Loan Management System (ELM) which will ensure the integrity for lender certification, reallocations, and receipt of funds. Responsible for the processing and monitoring of $24+million in educational loans.
• Responsible for the entrance and exit counseling via paper and internet. Ensure the update of system records for such counseling.
• Review and process all loan applications via Financial Aid system, internet and paper.
• Responsible for the set up of all transfer students as appropriate within the NSLDS system to ensure the transfer, monitor, and alert system is compliant with the Department of Education. Also is responsible to ensure that all mid-year start students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are appropriately coded as FA recipients (as appropriate) to ensure institutional compliance.
• Responsible for the awarding of Upstate Athletic awards, and sending correspondences to students as required by NCAA regulations.
• Responsible for the oversight of students who are Studying Abroad and monitoring of their awards.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Prep system to ensure proper setup of payment terms and disseminates this information to lenders and guarantors. Ensures disbursement dates are communicated and supplied within mainframe. Ensure proper file layout on annual basis.
• Responsible for the overall setup and awarding of all summer aid.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent education and experience. Successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Financial aid office experience and familiarity with financial aid related software systems and aid modules. Experience with student integrated systems, mainframe processing, and various personal computer software.
Salary: $28,215 – $34,000; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to: https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/117809
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.