The South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority (Authority) administers the Housing Choice Voucher Program in seven South Carolina counties (Clarendon, Colleton, Dorchester, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lee, and Lexington). The Authority provides rental assistance subsidy for approximately 2,000 very-low income families through an Annual Contributions Contract with the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
This position provides the opportunity to utilize one’s unique interpersonal, critical thinking and self/time management skills in assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford and locate decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private rental market. It also affords the opportunity to expand on the program knowledge and skills gained and to demonstrate those additional capabilities that are key and essential to the ability to take advantage of other opportunities as part of the Authority’s progression planning initiatives.
Duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Working as a team member assisting families in multiple counties.
- Determining families’ eligibility for program participation based on HUD and Authority requirements.
- Performing initial lease-up actions and completing periodic and annual recertification requirements to determine a family’s and rental unit’s continued program eligibility.
- Coordinating and conducting physical inspections of rental units to ensure compliance with HUD Housing Quality Standards.
- Negotiating and executing Housing Assistance Payment Contracts with landlords and ensuring contract rents are reasonable.
- Interacting with applicants, participants, and landlords on a daily basis in determining eligibility and ensuring program compliance.
- Conducting public relations and landlord outreach concerning program availability and requirements for participation.
- Monitoring participation to ensure maximum program utilization.
- Obtaining certification as a Housing Quality Standards inspector and as an Eligibility, Income, and Rent Calculation Specialist within (1) year of hire date.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively, prioritize tasks, and process time sensitive materials in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to write letters and other business-related correspondence that are professional in appearance and content.
- Have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interpret laws, regulations, policies and procedures relevant to program requirements.
- Possess a valid SC driver’s license and be able to operate motor vehicles. Must be able to travel throughout the state of South Carolina on a regular basis including overnight travel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, coworkers, and external customers.
- Current, relevant Knowledge of personal computers, Windows operating system, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain organized, accurate, and updated files.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
Agency Minimum Requirements*:
A high school diploma and two (2) years of full-time experience in housing subsidy programs, property management, housing finance or other related housing fields.
Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance or related field of study.
Public Housing Agency (PHA) experience and industry level certification in the administration of HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher Program to include eligibility, income calculation, annual and interim recertifications, Housing Quality Standards (HQS), etc.
Experience with Yardi Voyager Software.
Experience in the administration of other federally subsidized rental assistance programs (Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, Project-Based Rental Assistance).