The Town of Hilton Head Island is seeking a Workforce Housing Program Manager to direct, manage, oversee, and review workforce housing activities affecting current and long-range housing affordability issues, policies, programs, and projects that supports the Town’s ability to meet its workforce housing goals.
This position reports to the Assistant Community Development Director and directs the daily operations of the Town’s Workforce Housing activities, programs and projects as outlined and defined in the Town’s Workforce Housing Framework and Strategic and Comprehensive Plans. This position is responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of workforce housing strategies, related housing policies, programs, funding research and recommendations and partnership development to strengthen workforce housing opportunities in the Town of Hilton Head Island. This position plays a lead role in managing and implementing workforce housing projects and programs to include working with other Town departments, developers, lenders, public agencies, and outside organizations to achieve the Town’s workforce housing objectives.
Workforce Housing Program Manager Essential Job Functions
Program Development and Leadership:
- Plans, manages, and oversees the daily functions, operations, and activities of the Town’s workforce housing programs (including affordable housing, workforce housing, market-rate housing, housing assistance programs, etc.) within the Community Development Department, including monitoring of existing projects, initiatives, and related programs (both rental and ownership), affordable housing development and finance (new construction and acquisition/rehabilitation) and asset management of any of the Town’s existing projects and/or developments
- Participates in the development, administration, implementation, and oversight of all workforce housing programs, projects, goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; recommends within program policy, appropriate services, staffing and resource levels; recommends policies and procedures aligned with workforce housing goals including budgets and ensuring compliance with budgeted funding sources
Partnership Development and Management:
- Identifies and develops opportunities for new development and preservation of existing affordable housing by working with external development partners
- Serves as a liaison for activities with federal, state, and local agencies as it relates to the Town’s workforce housing activities, including coordination between community development, planning and development services; supports and develops external partnerships between the Town and nonprofit and for-profit developers, service provides and community stakeholders
- Leads and manages a citizen’s advisory council and/or coalition as outlined in the Workforce Housing Framework
- Develops programs to inform the public about housing initiatives, goals, and objectives; assists developers, citizens, non- profits, advisory bodies, staff, and others seeking to participate in the Town’s workforce housing programs, projects and/or funding vehicles for community-wide housing efforts
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader with a robust background in public and private sector workforce housing programs, projects and innovations that will help to support the development and implementation of the Town’s Workforce Housing Framework and Strategic Plan objectives.
A successful candidate will possess extensive knowledge in the principles, practices, and strategies in the field of workforce and affordable housing having experience in both the development and financial aspects of these types of projects. An ideal candidate should have a deep understanding and knowledge of national, state, regional and local housing programs and financial resources that might benefit the Town’s ability to achieve its overall housing goals. Knowledge of workforce and affordable housing financing tools and strategies to include but not limited to government sources, tax credits and investment strategies will be essential. The Workforce Housing Program Manager should possess knowledge of effective and innovative land use planning and community development tactics that supports the preservation and/or production of workforce housing.
A successful candidate will have the ability to work with other Town and community leaders, including but not limited to senior management, elected officials, diverse stakeholders, funders, and nonprofit and for-profit developers. The Workforce Housing Program Manager must have strong communication skills and possess the ability to effectively conduct meetings and make presentations to various groups on behalf of the Town including the ability to organize and coordinate an effective marketing strategy for workforce housing programs and projects.
The ideal candidate must have the ability to plan and manage multiple, diverse, and complex projects; prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, policies, procedures, and other written materials; as well as research, analyze, interpret, summarize, and present technical information and data in an effective manner.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in community development, planning, public administration, or a related field; and six (6) years of related experience in management or administration of development, housing development, real estate development, housing finance, or economic development programs; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A Master’s degree or advanced certification is preferred
Valid Driver’s License
Compensation and Benefits:
- The Town of Hilton Head offers a competitive salary and benefits package for qualified candidates.
- The target salary range for a candidate that meets all qualifications and experience is $85-90K.
- The Town offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, vacation, and sick leave, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, a healthcare reimbursement arrangement, and a generous matching 401(k) plan. Relocation assistance is available for candidates relocating to the area.
To Apply: Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume through the Town’s website at www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/jobs