The South Carolina Emergency Medical Services Association (SCEMSA) announced that veteran EMS administrator and South Carolina native Henry Lewis has been hired as its first Executive Director. After a nationwide search, the SCEMSA Board of Directors selected Mr. Lewis from a field of 53 candidates. In his role as Executive Director, Mr. Lewis is tasked with carrying out the Association’s mission of improving emergency medical services in South Carolina through advocacy, collaboration and education.
“This is a historical moment for EMS in South Carolina” said SCEMSA Board President William Tatum. “The Board is excited to work with Mr. Lewis as our new executive director and confident that the Association will be well positioned under his guidance to thrive in the years to come.”
About Henry Lewis
- His venture in to public service started as a volunteer firefighter.
- He earned his South Carolina emergency medical technician (EMT) certification in 2001and his paramedic certification a short time later.
- He graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Emergency Management and is now a Certified Emergency Manager. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in Healthcare Administration.
- He has twenty years of experience as a clinician and administrator with public, private and hospital based EMS agencies and ambulance services.
- He worked as the State EMS Coordinator at the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC).
- He currently serves on numerous statewide and national committees involving EMS. He is the Chairman of the National Association of EMT’s (NAEMT) Membership Committee.
Mr. Lewis will be working closely with the South Carolina Emergency Medical Services Association membership, legislators and other stakeholders to address the complex challenges facing EMS in our state such as workforce development, responder mental health, education and reimbursement.
About the SCEMSA
The South Carolina EMS Association (SCEMSA) is a nonprofit organization committed to creating a unified voice for EMS providers across all sectors in the state of South Carolina. Our mission is to advance EMS through advocacy, collaboration, and education.