$133,000 in Grants Given to 23 Spartanburg-Area Non-Profits
GREENVILLE, SC – December 8, 2010 – Today BI-LO revealed its newest updated store in Spartanburg, S.C., unveiling the latest in a series of renovations the company is making throughout its four-state footprint. In addition to today’s ribbon-cutting ceremony, BI-LO presented 23 Spartanburg organizations with more than $133,000 in funds raised from this past year’s BI-LO Charity Classic.
BI-LO Regional Vice President Sam Blaiss was on hand for the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Reidville Road location, along with BI-LO District Director Ashley McCall, BI-LO Charities Executive Director Carol Browning and representatives from each honored Spartanburg non-profit.
In addition to the donation, BI-LO unveiled exclusive customer events taking place at the BI-LO on Reidville Road over the next few weeks:
- On Dec. 8 and 10 BI-LO will host free glucose and cholesterol testing, provided and performed by Cholestcheck to help customers take charge of leading a healthy lifestyle
- From Dec. 8-20, shoppers are invited to enjoy “the taste of BI-LO,”featuring complimentary samples and cooking demonstrations with the besttailgating, holiday and healthy eating tips to make the most out ofthis time of year
- On Dec. 11 and 18 children can get a free picture with Santa, provided by Pro Shots
The re-opening of the Spartanburg store is the latest in a series of updates which are part of BI-LO’s larger and progressive five-year plan to become more competitive in the marketplace. Over the last several months, BI-LO has carefully worked on revamping its store designs and layout, as well as developing new offerings focused on quality and savings to better serve its customers.
The improved look and feel of the store is just one of the ways BI-LO is working to provide unrivaled value and service to the public. From the moment shoppers arrive at the store, they first notice updated aspects such as a warmer and richer color palette. Additional upgrades have been made to all departments, including improved décor that envelops the store almost immediately.
“BI-LO is continuing to do great things to exceed our customers’ expectations by always providing tremendous savings without having to sacrifice on quality and service,” said BI-LO Regional Vice President Sam Blaiss. “Our re-designed store in Spartanburg symbolizes what BI-LO is all about: quality, freshness and offering shoppers the finest products available, all for a low price.”
The enhanced departments and signature food items showcase the improved freshness, variety and quality the company strives to provide customers, including:
- Fresh-sliced Sara Lee meats and cheeses, Lip Lickin’ Fried Chicken, Signature Deli Pizza, Sweet Dreams Custom Cakes and Gourmet Cookies, along with fresh artisan breads, muffins, pastries and doughnuts
- A knowledgeable BI-LO butcher who can custom cut, grind or cube, and provide grilling and preparation tips, all for free
- A wide variety of seafood including Chef’s Catch and Lakehouse Catfish, available only at BI-LO
- A produce department with an open-market feel featuring BI-LO’s triple-inspected Walter’s Produce
- A free Wi-Fi café to relax, enjoy a cup of coffee or a snack and surf the web
- The company’s first-ever tropical fruits and nuts station, complete withan assorted variety of grains, rice, candies and snack mix
In addition to these services and selections, BI-LO continues to provide its customers many ways to save including:
- Satisfaction Guarantee – the company’s new policy that doubles the moneyback for any customer that is unsatisfied with any item purchased atthe store, whatever the reason
- fuelperks!® – a fuel rewards program that allows customers to lower theprice of gas at participating fuel stations each time they spend atleast $50 on groceries
- Price Lock – a savings program that locks in extra-low prices for an eight-week period
- BI-LO BONUSCARD® Deals – offering special discounts throughout the store
- Super BOGO’s – buy one get one free opportunities in every department
- $4 generic prescriptions – savings on over 400 prescription drugs with no enrollment fee
- Double Coupons – manufacturer coupons up to 60 cents are doubled every day
- SENIOR BONUS® Day – a 5 percent discount to seniors every Wednesday
- BI-LO.com – an online account that helps shoppers maximize their savingswith coupons, free samples, special recipes, prescription refills andother services personally tailored to them
- Meal Deals – opportunities for customers to buy specially priced products and get complementary items for free
- Southern Home and $4 Top Care – store-brand products that meet or exceedthe quality of national brands and provide exceptional savings; TopCare includes $4 on over the counter medications
Blaiss continued, “We’re excited to bring this new, enhanced shopping experience to our friends in Spartanburg and the surrounding community. It was an even better day sharing this excitement with numerous local non-profits that deserve the awards and recognition they each received.”
As part of the grand re-opening celebration, representatives from 23 Spartanburg-area organizations were granted more than $120,000 in funds made possible by the 27th annual BI-LO Charity Classic Golf Tournament, which was held this past June in Greenville, S.C. BI-LO Charities made donations to groups throughout Spartanburg that address the needs of children, education or hunger relief in the community, including:
Boys Farm, Inc.
Charles Lea Center Foundation
Cherokee County Meals on Wheels
Children Shelter of the Upstate Anchor House
Children Shelter of the Upstate Fucette House
Christian Ministry of Lincoln County, Inc.
City of Chesnee
Friends of the Guardian ad Litem
Greater Spartanburg Ministries
Greer Community Ministries
Inman Mills Baptist Church
Laurens Memorial Home for Aged
Living Hope Foundation, Inc.
Middle Tyger Community Center
Mobile Meal Service of Spartanburg County, Inc
Senior Centers of Cherokee County, Inc
Senior Options, Inc.
Southeastern Children’s Home
The Salvation Army of Gaffney, S.C.
The Walker Foundation, Inc.
Upstate Family Resource Center
Woodruff Area Soup Kitchen
In combination with these grants, a randomly-selected organization from today’s event was chosen to receive an additional $500 donation from BI-LO Charities’ boostersplus® program. This program gives BI-LO shoppers the opportunity to select community organizations to receive a portion of the proceeds from their purchases throughout the year, and is another way BI-LO supports the communities in which it operates.
Headquartered in Mauldin, S.C., BI-LO operates 207 supermarkets in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee, employing approximately 15,100 people. Founded in 1961, the company provides shoppers substantial savings without sacrificing quality or freshness through its BI-LO BONUSCARD® and other exclusive programs. A committed corporate citizen, BI-LO has donated more than $52 million through its BI-LO Charities efforts to organizations across the company’s footprint since 1983. For more information, visit www.bi-lo.com.