Director of Sports Medicine and Head Athletic Trainer
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Director of Sports Medicine and Head Athletic Trainer position is responsible for leading and administering comprehensive athletic training services for all student-athletes across USC Upstate’s varsity sports. This position will have direct athletic training responsibilities for the one or more assigned teams and be an integral member of the athletics administrative leadership team.
• Lead and manage the USC Upstate’s sports medicine unit to deliver comprehensive medical care for all student-athletes across all varsity programs. Partner with team physicians, sports medicine staff, strength and conditioning coaches and coaching staffs in planning and implementing return to activity programs for student-athletes, including rehabilitation and post-surgical protocols. Maintain accurate medical records for student-athletes and coordinate insurance and billing. Direct athletic training responsibility for one or more teams.
• Hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate sports medicine staff. Ensures that all employees adhere to all National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA) and NCAA regulations. Conduct performance review of athletic training staff as need per University policies
• Oversee the scheduling and assignment of athletic trainers to ensure appropriate coverage of practices, training, competitions, and events. Assigns coverages for the athletic trainers to ensure a certified trainer is available for practices and competition.
• Direct and oversee sports medicine policies, procedures to include health and safety protocols for student-athletes, compliance, and risk management initiatives. Maintain a safe and effective athletic medicine environment with a focus on the overall health and well-being of student-athletes. Compliance with all federal, state, city, campus and applicable laws and policies regarding reporting requirements (e.g. Title IX, Clery Act, ethics regulations, etc.). Compliance with all federal, state, city, campus and applicable laws and policies regarding the confidentiality of student-athlete information (e.g., HIPPA, FERPA, etc.).
• Administration duties to include but not be limited to order and inventory all supplies needed for the sports medicine department; work with Athletic Director and Athletic Budget Manager on budget analysis. Administer written policies in regard to health and safety protocols for student-athletes; Evaluate and recommend new techniques and equipment; coordinate team physicals with team physicians; work with department on mental health initiatives; attend meetings on behalf of department; responsible for coordinating and ensuring coaches and staff are CPR certified; advise coaching staff as to daily medical status of injured student-athletes, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Athletics Director.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in sports medicine, athletic training or related field and five years of athletic trainer experience in an academic setting or sports medicine clinic. Must be certified and in good standing with the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification (NATABOC). Must be able to meet all requirements by the State of South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. Must be CPR and AED certified by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association or similar. A valid driver’s license, good driving record and a successful background check are required.
Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends and travel, as required.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree and 7 or more years of experience serving as a certified athletic trainer in a collegiate athletics setting; Risk management Pathology of injury and illness Assessment and Evaluation of Injuries and illnesses Acute Care of Injury and Illnesses Pharmacology Therapeutic Modalities Therapeutic Exercise Nutritional Aspects of Injury and Illness Psychosocial Intervention and Referral Health Care Administration Professional Development and Responsibilities.
For more information and/or to apply, go to: https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/122298
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.