A M King completes divisional headquarters and distribution center for ALDIFebruary 9, 2023
Carolinas-based A M King, an integrated Design-Build firm with an established Upstate presence, recently celebrated the grand opening of global grocery retailer ALDI’s newest regional headquarters and distribution center, located in Loxley, Alabama. A M King provided property consulting to ALDI U.S., one of America’s fastest-growing retailers, and designed and built the 564,000-square-foot structure, which includes cold storage, dry storage and packaging space. The state-of-the-art facility will service more than 100 stores in southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and the Florida panhandle — marking the company’s presence in 38 states.
“ALDI and A M King have a long and successful relationship,” explained A M King Vice President Dan Crist. “A M King’s full property consulting services were instrumental to ALDI as the company was contemplating a Gulf Coast expansion. We then moved forward with development of a spacious and multifaceted facility, incorporating groundbreaking design elements that will serve as a blueprint for future projects with ALDI.”
“A M King has been a valued partner throughout the design and construction of our newest regional headquarters and distribution center,” said Dan Gavin, Vice President of Real Estate at ALDI U.S. “A M King was key in the development of this state-of-the-art facility, and we’re thrilled with the integration of dynamic design elements aimed at maximizing operational efficiency and sustainability.”
ALDI is planning to hire more than 200 warehouse associates to support the company’s growth in the Gulf Coast area.
Designed for Maximum Operational Efficiency
ALDI’s newest regional headquarters and distribution center features distinctive design elements as part of the retailer’s continued efforts to maximize the efficiency of their operations. Several new elements have been incorporated into the Gulf Coast facility for efficiency, including:
• Use of insulated metal panels (IMP) in lieu of concrete tilt or precast concrete exterior panels. The warehouse is fully designed with 6” thick IMP, creating a thermally tight and efficient building envelope.
• Optimum racking organization, determined by product analysis from storage and flow perspectives.
• First ALDI distribution center to utilize cross-docking services.
• Floor-to-ceiling curtain wall around two sides of the two-story office permits large amounts of natural light to filter into the space. Large, unobstructed areas of glazing at the office allow all employees to have outdoor views.
• Restrooms, locker rooms and maintenance for both ambient temperature and cooler and freezer employees are housed in the central core of the building.
Notable sustainability initiatives in the building include:
• A full solar panel array over the dry warehouse, which sends surplus energy back into the grid.
• Drive-in style dock doors in the perishable docks provide a much better seal for a thermally tight building.
• Clerestory windows surround the dry portion of the warehouse, allowing natural light to help
offset the lighting needs within the area.
• Full LED lighting throughout the entire building and site improves energy efficiency.
A M King worked in tandem with ALDI to determine adequate site infrastructure requirements. The property needed to be large enough, buildable and strategically located. Ultimately, A M King assisted ALDI in acquiring a 150-acre site just north of Interstate 10, conveniently located between Mobile, Alabama. and Pensacola, Florida, and 25 miles from Gulf Shores, Alabama.
The scope of work on the Loxley facility included 216,781 square feet of dry (ambient temperature) storage; 22,022 square feet of 55-degree storage; 65,674 square feet of 34-degree cooler storage; 12,914 square feet of 30-degree meat storage; 27,975 square feet of 0-degree freezer; 4,957 square feet of -10-degree ice cream freezer; 45,779 square feet of perishable inbound/outbound dock with 38 dock positions; 82,304 square feet of dry inbound/outbound dock with 49 dock positions; and 24,679 square feet of Class A office spaces.
About A M King
A M King is an integrated Design-Build firm based in Charlotte, NC with offices in Greenville, SC and Chicago, IL. An employee-owned company, A M King consistently and successfully delivers quality projects throughout the United States. With an experienced team committed to protecting clients’ assets, the firm provides property consulting, design, construction, and facility services in key market sectors including food processing, food distribution, industrial manufacturing, and corporate properties.
About ALDI U.S.
ALDI U.S. ALDI is one of America’s fastest-growing retailers, serving millions of customers across the country each month. When it comes to value, ALDI won’t be beat on price. ALDI has also been No. 1 for price according to the Dunnhumby Retailer Preference Index Report for five years running. Since 1976, ALDI has offered a unique shopping experience where customers never have to compromise on quality, selection or value. In fact, 1 in 3 ALDI-brand products are award-winning. Customers can save time and money by conveniently shopping in-store or online at shop.aldi.us. ALDI also proudly serves as a Feeding America Leadership Partner, donating 30 million pounds of food each year in an effort to end hunger in America. For more information about ALDI, visit aldi.us.