Be Aware! Termite Season Is Here!March 10, 2023
National Termite Awareness Week is March 12-18
The arrival of spring brings more daylight and the rebirth of nature. Unfortunately, it also creates the ideal conditions for termites–a tiny but destructive insect that annually causes homeowners an average of $5 billion in repair costs. March 12-18 is National Termite Awareness Week, and Terminix Service, Inc. is arming homeowners with preventative measures to protect their properties from termites, including the more aggressive Formosan species spreading across the Carolinas.
“The warmer, wet weather in the springtime creates the perfect environment for termite activity, making this the perfect time to remind homeowners about the increased risk to their properties,” said Terminix Technical Director Kevin Hathorne. “With many new residents relocating to the South, it’s important to understand the risks associated with termites. Our region is home to several species, including subterranean, drywood, and now formosans. We’re here to help educate homeowners about how to make their property less attractive to these pests.”
Terminix encourages homeowners to follow these Top 10 preventative measures, including:
1. Repair plumbing leaks.
2. Make sure gutters and downspouts are not clogged or damaged and are directing water away from the foundation. Install gutters if you don’t have them.
3. Point sprinklers away from your foundation.
4. Prevent pooling water next to your foundation by re-grading the soil so that water flows away from your house, or install a drainage system like a French drain.
5. Keep your roof in good shape and free of leaks.
6. Repair and replace damaged siding and flashing.
7. Store firewood, scrap lumber, or any other wooden products as far from your house as possible.
8. Do not use excessive mulch or pine straw around the foundation.
9. Trim any adjacent bushes and trees.
10. Ensure your crawl space has adequate ventilation and a moisture barrier or is encapsulated and conditioned like the Terminix Humidi-Seal system offers.
Locally-owned Terminix Service, Inc. provides a termite protection plan with the strongest guarantee in the business. For more information, visit www.trustterminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.
About Terminix Service, Inc.
For 75 years, our customers have trusted Terminix Service, Inc., for the best termite and pest control protection for their homes and businesses. With annual revenue of over $150 million, the family-owned and operated Terminix Service, Inc. is the tenth-largest pest control company in North America. Terminix Service, Inc. operates in South Carolina, western North Carolina, and the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia. Visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.