City of Columbia officials are excited to begin the $24,100,000 construction process that will restore Columbia’s crown jewel park
The City of Columbia was thrilled to announce the revitalization of Finlay Park at a ground breaking ceremony on the central lawn of Finlay Park on Thursday, September 14 at 10:00 a.m.
Mayor Daniel Rickenmann, Columbia City Manager Teresa Wilson, Columbia City Councilman Edward H. McDowell, Jr, representatives of the Columbia Parks & Recreation Department, SC House Representative Beth Bernstein, former SC House Representative Kirkman Finlay III, representatives of Mashburn Construction, and other stakeholders took part in the ground breaking ceremony.
“This is a huge step for us to move forward with restoring a crown jewel of our Capital City,” said Mayor Daniel Rickenmann. “We’re going to make Finlay Park a beautiful, dynamic, and safe space for our residents to enjoy and for guests to visit. I look forward to the park becoming one of the best venues in town once again.”
“We firmly believe that this project will enhance the quality of life for our citizens and enhance the vibrancy of downtown Columbia,” said Assistant City Manager Henry Simons.
The $24,100,000 construction project revitalization efforts to Finlay Park are projected to take 22-24 months, and will include:
- Repairing the iconic spiral fountain, adding new falls cascading into a newly renovated central pond which will then flow into an amenity stream
- Constructing of new multi-use structures for events and park activation, including a new band stage
- Enhancing lawn areas for events
- Adding new amenities such as strolling gardens, multiple walkways, an overlook plaza, restrooms, shade shelter, spray play, a destination playground and public art
- Increasing safety and visibility with more open sight lines, cameras, call boxes and enhanced lighting solutions
- Adding office space for hospitality and on-site park rangers
- Accessibility upgrades, parking modifications and more
“Mashburn Construction is proud to be the chosen contractor for the Finlay Park Revitalization Project,” said Lee Mashburn, President of Mashburn Construction. “Our company vision focuses on ‘Building Better Communities’ and this marquee project allows us to live out that vision in the work that we do. On a personal note, both my father and I have been long-time servants of the City Center Partnership with a steadfast focus on intentional downtown development. It is rewarding to see Finlay Park, which was once the crown of our City, coming back to life which will have an impact on Columbia for decades to come.”