As the fight against COVID-19 continues nationally and worldwide, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) stresses how critical it is for everyone to receive their flu shot in order to stay as health as possible. To make the flu shot easy and accessible, DHEC and Prisma Health are offering free flu vaccines to residents of Richland, Lexington, Fairfield, Kershaw and Sumter counties throughout October. The flu vaccine is recommended for anyone six months of age and older.
Flu shots are being administered at several drive-through sites as well as a Prisma Health location offering walk-in service.
“We’re excited to partner with Prisma Health again this year to provide free flu shots to residents and their families,” said Scott Thorpe, Midlands COVID Lead/Community Health Services for DHEC. “Just as in years past, our nursing and administrative staff work hand-in-hand with our Prisma Health partners to provide the vaccine for the benefit of as many people as possible.”
At both the drive-through and walk-in locations, face masks or shields are required, and temperature checks are taken upon arrival. Participants are asked to wear short-sleeve shirts or loose-fitting clothing that can easily roll up. Consent forms are available at each site for children under the age of 16 who require a parent or guardian signature.
“Prisma Health believes in the power of collaboration and we are proud to again this year work with DHEC to provide this important support for our communities, especially as we manage this flu season with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic,” said Steve Shelton, M.D., who heads Prisma Health’s COVID-19 response in the Midlands. “Prisma Health is here to take care of its communities and help ensure that everyone does everything they can to protect themselves at this critical time.”
Free flu shot opportunities for Richland, Lexington, Fairfield, Kershaw and Sumter county residents include these drive-through clinics:
- Saturday, Oct. 17, 9 a.m.–1 p.m., St. Andrews Middle School, 1231 Bluefield Dr., Columbia
- Saturday, Oct. 17, 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Fairfield Middle School, 728 U.S. Hwy. 321, Bypass S., Winnsboro
- Saturday, Oct. 24 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Brookland Baptist Church, 1066 Sunset Blvd., West Columbia
- Saturday, Oct. 24 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Dreher High School, 3319 Millwood Ave., Columbia
- Saturday, Oct. 31 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m., W.A. Perry Middle School (Challenger Parking Lot), 2600 Barhamville Rd., Columbia
- Saturday, Oct. 31 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Eau Claire High School, 4800 Monticello Rd., Columbia
- Wednesdays and Thursdays in October from 3-6 p.m. Prisma Health- Richland Hospital campus, 9 Medical Park, Columbia