With winter well underway, Dominion Energy is providing easy, straightforward tips to help customers manage their energy use during the colder months.
“Colder outside temperatures this time of year mean your heating system will work harder to keep your home warm,” said Ginger Greenway, program manager of energy information services for Dominion Energy South Carolina. “Changing the setting on your thermostat and wearing layers around the house can help save energy without sacrificing comfort.”
Follow these tips to conserve energy this winter:
- Manage your thermostat. Set the thermostat at 68 degrees or as low as comfortable during the day.
- Add an extra layer. Consider wearing comfortable, warm clothing and extra layers.
- Adjust your curtains and blinds according to the time of day. To benefit from the sun’s natural warmth, keep curtains and blinds open during daylight hours. Close them at night to reduce the chill from cold windows.
- Check your water heater. Set the water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees unless the manufacturer’s guidelines require a higher setting.
- Replace air filters regularly. Dirty air filters can increase energy usage, damage the heating system and compromise air quality.
Consider the following do-it-yourself projects to keep the cold air out and the warm air in:
- Measure attic insulation. Ensure attic insulation is at least 12 inches deep. Add more insulation (R-38 or higher) if needed.
- Caulk, seal and weather-strip. Check for drafts around all seams, cracks and openings. Caulk and seal around windows and replace old weather stripping around doors.
Dominion Energy is committed to working with customers to find the payment plan and financial assistance that best fits their individual circumstances. Many options can be accessed 24/7 through DominionEnergySC.com/assistance or the Dominion Energy app.
In addition to short- and long-term payment plans, energy assistance is offered through Dominion Energy’s EnergyShare program, funded by company contributions and donations from customers, employees and retirees. Additional payment assistance is also offered through state and federal programs, such as the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the S.C. Stay Plus Program.
To help eligible residential electric customers decrease energy use, Dominion Energy has the following programs:
- EnergyWise Online Savings Store features Energy Star-qualified products such as LED bulbs, smart lighting, smart thermostats, advanced power strips and more at discounted retail price.
- Appliance Recycling Program enables qualifying customers to receive $50 cash back and free no-contact pickup when recycling eligible full-sized refrigerators or freezers.
- Virtual Home Energy Check-Up offers a free consultation with an energy expert by video chat or telephone call to help identify ways to improve a home’s overall energy efficiency.
- Heating & Cooling Equipment Program allows qualifying customers to receive rebates up to $500 toward the cost of purchasing and installing new Energy Star-qualified central air conditioning systems and heat pumps, as well as making ductwork improvements in existing residences.
To learn more about programs, including customer eligibility and restrictions, as well as tips on how to be more energy wise, visit DominionEnergySC.com/EnergyWise or call 877-510-7234.
About Dominion Energy
About 7 million customers in 13 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable and safe energy and to achieving net zero carbon dioxide and methane emissions from its power generation and gas infrastructure operations by 2050. Please visit DominionEnergy.com to learn more.