Andy Carr, President & CEO of the SCMEP; Chuck Hall, President & CEO of Barnet and SCMA Chairman; SC Governor Henry McMaster; Sara Hazzard, President & CEO of the SCMA.
In recognition of the impact and importance South Carolina’s manufacturing industry has throughout the state, Governor Henry McMaster issued a proclamation recognizing “National Manufacturing Day” and declaring October “South Carolina Manufacturing Month.”
“Manufacturing is at the heart of what makes South Carolina a great place to work and live,” said Governor Henry McMaster. “This incredible industry has been a driving force for prosperity throughout our state and will continue to be a pillar of our economy for generations to come.”
Governor McMaster made the announcement alongside the leadership of the South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance (SCMA) and the South Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership (SCMEP) at the Anderson-Oconee-Pickens (AOP) Business & Industry Showcase on October 5, 2022. This is the 14th year the AOP Business & Industry Showcase has been held. The annual event hosts all 8th graders from the 3-county region at the Civic Center of Anderson over a two-day period where students can meet local business leaders and learn about career opportunities in manufacturing and other industries.
“We’re proud of the impact manufacturing has in South Carolina,” said Sara Hazzard, President and CEO of the South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance. “The industry drives innovation, creates economic prosperity, and fosters community engagement that benefits all citizens.”
“South Carolina is a manufacturing powerhouse where facilities of all sizes can thrive and be successful,” said Andy Carr, President and CEO of the South Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership. “Our innovative and creative workforce is the backbone for this success and will continue to be the leading force in future manufacturing growth.”
In 2021, SC Future Makers, a nonprofit education and workforce organization affiliated with the SCMA, released an economic impact study highlighting the impact manufacturing has in South Carolina. Key economic impact findings from the study include:
- South Carolina’s manufacturing economic impact is estimated to total between $194 billion and $206 billion annually;
- 16% of the State’s GDP is associated with manufacturing;
- Manufacturing supports, either directly or indirectly, over 30% of all jobs statewide;
- The industry pays an average annual salary that is 33% higher than the state’s average wage;
- Manufacturing creates more jobs than virtually any other sector and has a multiplier effect of 2.4;
- 38% of South Carolina’s General Fund revenue comes from the manufacturing industry;
- South Carolina manufacturing is largely anchored by the aerospace, automotive, and tire sectors along with their extended supply chains. These three sectors experienced growth at a collective rate of more than three times the state average over the past decade;
- South Carolina has announced more than 45,000 new jobs and $16 billion in capital investments in manufacturing since 2017.
The purpose of South Carolina Manufacturing Month and National Manufacturing Day is to raise awareness of the achievements and opportunities the industry provides throughout the Palmetto State and the nation. A copy of the Proclamation can be viewed by CLICKING HERE. https://myscma.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Proclamation22.pdf
A photo approved for media use is attached. Individuals in the picture from left to right are: Andy Carr, President & CEO of the SCMEP; Chuck Hall, President & CEO of Barnet and SCMA Chairman; SC Governor Henry McMaster; Sara Hazzard, President & CEO of the SCMA.
South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance
The South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance is the only statewide organization dedicated exclusively to the interests of manufacturers. Its mission is to strengthen and advance South Carolina manufacturing by advocating for our members, fostering a world-class workforce, and bringing together manufacturers to connect, share, and solve industry challenges. The SCMA membership is comprised of more than 200 manufacturing companies that represent more than 100,000 associates in South Carolina.