Academic Advisor (2 positions)
University of South Carolina Upstate
Academic Advisors are responsible for advising declared, undeclared, and prospective students, promoting good advisement practices, and assisting with academic support. Academic advisors assess students’ needs, goals, interests, and prior academic experiences in order to guide students in the design and implementation of a successful academic plan. This position will serve majors assigned by the Executive Director of the Student Success Center at the USC Upstate. This position will be responsible for coordinating comprehensive programs and initiatives that promote student success, including academic support, professionalism and protocol training, and career development.
• Navigate students through the major transitions of college enrollment. Provide programming for students as they enter, continue to enroll, and leave the institution. Maintains an advising load and works directly with students to accomplish educational goals. Key aspects include maintenance of the integrity of academic policies, while being a student advocate and fostering a culture of student responsibility and success, providing students with information about possible consequences of academic decisions, and creating plans of study. Must maintain current knowledge of degree programs.
• Assist students in the development of an educational plan including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals.
• Oversee academic advising and registration for assigned majors. Educate students about course planning and registration processes. Refer students to campus resources to meet individual needs.
• Coordinate targeted outreach to students with at-risk factors.
• Improve student preparedness for job search activities and professionalism in the workplace.
• Maintains accurate data for reports and informed decision-making. Keeps advising statistics, work schedule, and other reporting documents up-to-date. Monitor and respond to students using advising software (Starfish).
• Teach UNIV 101 (College Success Seminar).
• Cross-trained to assist in enrollment services during peak times.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree required with a minimum of 1-year experience in higher education academic advising, academic support services, first-year experience programming, career counseling or related field. Successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred exceptional leadership skills and excellent computer skills, written, and oral communication skills.
Salary: $35,360 – $46,500; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/137480
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.