University of South Carolina Upstate
The position is responsible for advising students, promoting good advisement practices, and assisting with academic support. The academic advisor assesses students’ needs, goals, interests and prior academic experiences in order to guide students in the design and implementation of a successful academic plan.
• Maintains an advising load and works directly with students to accomplish educational goals. Key aspects include maintenance of the integrity of academic policies, while being a student advocate and fostering a culture of student responsibility and success, providing students with information about possible consequences of academic decisions, and creating plans of study. Must maintain knowledge of all the degree programs. Able to evaluate transcripts for equivalency.
• Maintains accurate data for reports and informed decision-making. Keeps advising statistics, work schedule, and other reporting documents up-to-date. (e.g. Banner, Degree Works and SharePoint)
• Teaches UNIV courses as assigned.
• Plans and develops workshops and services that respond to the academic needs of students. Assists and leads recruitment efforts such as Fab Friday, Open Houses, OAR and Transfer orientations.
• Assist with implementation of the Early Intervention Program and manage student follow-up visits. Ensure timely communication with students of unsatisfactory reports.
• Assists with the targeted student success efforts for various cohorts of USC Upstate students. Participates in Student Center initiatives and special event as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree in Student Personnel Services or related field and 1 years related experience, or bachelor’s degree and 3 years related experience. Successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in higher education, academic advising, academic support services, and/or first year programming.
Salary: $36,047 – $43,050; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to: https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/119359
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.