Academic Life Coach (2 positions)
University of South Carolina Upstate
Student Success Academic Life Coaches actively support undergraduate students with their transition to the university by providing individualized, holistic support, including advising, academic support, and life skills (career, health, and financial areas). Academic life coaches assess students’ needs, goals, interests, and prior experiences to guide students in making good decisions that lead to success at the University. This position will closely monitor a cohort of students with known risk factors such as conditional admits, probations, and readmitted suspension students and assigned by the Executive Director of the Student Success Center.
• Provide individual guidance and academic coaching/advising for students with known risk factors such as conditional admits, probation, and readmitted from suspension. Utilize best practices to help students define academic, personal, and career paths. Follow USC Upstate academic Life coaching policies and procedures. Properly document meetings with students and report other student success metrics.
• Maintain ongoing caseload and require biweekly student appointments. Assist each student in developing a success plan and realistic goals that will contribute to academic and personal achievement in college, develop relationships that foster developmental conversations, and motivate students to achieve their educational goals.
• Assist students in course selection, including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals.
• Maintain a working knowledge of University departments, resources, services, and procedures and foster relationships with colleagues and campus partners. Develop and utilize campus resources and collaborations to enhance program effectiveness. Refer students as needed to campus resources and actively assist students with contacting services.
• Facilitate or co-facilitate academic skills/success-related workshops.
• Teach a section of University 101.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree required with a minimum of 2 years experience in higher education academic advising, academic support services, first-year experience programming, career counseling or related field. A successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous work experience with undergraduates in an institution of higher learning is strongly preferred.
Salary: $49,396 – $51,000; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/159398
USC Upstate offers a valuable benefits package including but not limited to:
• Health and Life Insurance
• Retirement Programs
• Paid Tuition Program
• Dependent Scholarships
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Annual Leave
• Sick Leave
• 13 Paid Holidays (including an extended December holiday)
• Paid Parental Leave
• Professional Development Opportunities
The University of South Carolina is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.