University of South Carolina Upstate
The Communications Director supports the University Marketing and Communications team in all brand, web content, and marketing initiatives, to include news writing, developing original content for the web, uploading photography, updating existing content, developing and proofing copy for marketing materials, and collaborating with contributing writers to ensure consistency in both visual identity and messaging. Additionally, the Communications Director will provide support for audiences both internal and external to the University, building and maintaining positive relationships with media partners. Using written and verbal skills to create a wide range of product and material, this position will help build a positive reputation for the University, maximize opportunities for exposure and enhance the visibility of the University locally, regionally and nationally. This position will manage social media as a channel through which to share relevant news.
The Communications Director ensures that day-to-day activities are held efficiently and within slated timelines. This role is an integral part of the UMC team, responsible for coordination of tactics, production, and execution of compelling content and communications initiatives to build awareness of the brand and drive engagement.
• Writing and editing: Write press releases, newsletters and news stories for publication across platforms. Write and edit marketing and advertising copy, collaborate on design needs with the Creative Director and designers, interface with internal departments across campus, maintain organization and efficiency of all ongoing digital projects, and maintain content and production calendars.
• Web content: Research and develop compelling written content and visual assets for the university website, and review and edit all contributed content.
• Consultative duties: Advise communications partners on campus on best practices and help lead regular meetings with designated web “super users”.
• Supervises FTE staff (and temporary and student employees, as needed)
• Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or marketing and five years of experience in copy-writing for both print and digital platforms Successful background check is required.
Knowledge of higher education learning environments a plus; Experience with HTML and coding a plus.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/157992
USC Upstate offers a valuable benefits package including but not limited to:
• Health and Life Insurance
• Retirement Programs
• Paid Tuition Program
• Dependent Scholarships
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Annual Leave
• Sick Leave
• 13 Paid Holidays (including an extended December holiday)
• Paid Parental Leave
• Professional Development Opportunities
The University of South Carolina is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.