Director of Research and Planning
University of South Carolina Upstate
Reports to the Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and SACSCOC Liaison. Manages and directs activities of strategic planning goals and metrics and institutional research. Oversees comprehensive data collection, integrity, analysis, and interpretation of university data for all divisions of the university. Works with the Executive Team and Deans to meet data needs including for strategic planning scorecards and blueprints, external reporting, program reviews, grants, and accreditation. Works closely with university administration, USC Columbia, USC Upstate Information Technology and Data Services, and USC Upstate Institutional Effectiveness and Compliance to streamline data collection processes; improve data quality; and ensure that data collection, reporting, and analysis processes are supporting university priorities. Ensures accuracy of data warehouse and dashboards in collaboration with USC Columbia Division of Information Technology. Analyzes data for patterns and trends, conducts predictive and comparative analyses, and provides projections to inform decisions at the highest levels of the institution. Recommends changes in institutional planning based on state and federal policies and external trends. Ensures that data reports are informative, accessible, and align with university priorities.
• Managing data reports and recommending changes to strategic planning goals and metrics as articulated on scorecards and blueprints and program review data sheets.
• Developing and overseeing systems for gathering, streamlining, assuring quality, analyzing, and reporting institutional data necessary for decision-making at all levels.
• Performing a variety of statistical analyses using large, complex data sets including predictive analyses to inform institutional planning and budgeting.
• Designing and implementing data analysis and visualization, and self-service data tools, including data interpretation and training as needed.
• Leading changes in research and planning initiatives based on system, state, federal, and regional forecasts and trends as well as best practices in research and planning.
• Managing the reporting of institutional data to state and federal government entities as required (e.g., SCCHE, IPEDS) as well as other external agencies (e.g., U.S. News and World Report) and agencies that provide grant opportunities.
• Managing institutional data for various accreditation bodies such as SACSCOC, CAEP, CCNE, AACSB, ABET, and other program level bodies.
• Creating and enforcing university policies and procedures to ensure proper access and use of data across the institution.
• Creating and serving as the source of university data definitions.
• Evaluating departmental priorities and objectives, managing the Research and Planning budget, supervising staff, and performing additional duties as needed.
Master’s degree in a related field and four years of experience in educational research, planning, or teaching. Experience in managing, analyzing, and interpreting large data sets. Successful background check is required.
Doctorate in a related field and five years of experience in higher education research and planning.
$52,357 – $95,000; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/130649
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.