Head Coach – eSports
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Head Coach of eSports provides leadership and vision for the Varsity eSports program, which will be competing with other schools across the Big South Conference and participating in national tournaments. The Head Coach hires and supervises an eSports coaching staff; recruits student-athletes in partnership with Enrollment Services; mentors students, and creates competitive varsity teams. The Head Coach is responsible for mission development, and supervision of a comprehensive program including current games and growth/change in game offerings. This individual will successfully lead and oversee the eSports program in a cost-effective manner. Responsible for developing a healthy community of gamers and enhancing revenue, as well growing sponsor/partner/donor revenue to support the Varsity eSports program.
Develop and maintain a varsity eSports program:
• Coach, strategize, encourage, discipline and assess student-athlete development, conduct and team position.
• Conduct recruitment activities in accordance with any eSports governing body.
• Develop rules and regulations for team membership and activities.
• Coordinate recruitment and scholarship activities with the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Services.
• Establish an effective schedule for practices and games (league & tournament schedule coordination).
• Supervise a temporary assistant coach, and/or Graduate Assistant.
Work with assistant coaches to develop a competition season and coordinate any travel.
Promotion of Program:
• Develop, organize and direct the fund-raising and sponsorship activities through advertising and vendor contacts for the varsity eSports program.
• Organize and manage summer camps for prospective eSports student-athletes.
• Promote attendance at eSports events by providing information for students, faculty, staff and the public.
• Assist with maintaining information on the web page and coordinate television, print and radio information.
• Connect eSports with academic programs that help all of Campus Recreation recruit interns, student employees, graduate assistants, etc.
• Oversee the academic progress of student athletes and maintain high levels of retention and graduation.
• Provide academic progress monitoring and develop guidelines around player usage.
• Provide health and wellness education/programming for members of the team.
• Collaborate with Assistant Director for Campus Recreation to maintain eSports equipment and facility.
• Assist Assistant Director in preparing a budget within established guidelines.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree. One year of experience in metagame knowledge (i.e. strategies, play patterns, and dynamics of competitive play) for eSports Titles (e.g. League of Legends, Valorant, and Rocket League). Requires a valid driver’s license, good driving record and a successful background check. Some travel with be necessary with student groups.
At least one year of successful recruiting and coaching experience in eSports at the high school or college level. Current player ranking in one of the relevant eSports Titles preferred.
$35,568 – $42,000; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to: https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/115422
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.