University of South Carolina Upstate
The Campus Police Officer performs the duties of a state law enforcement officer for the University of South Carolina Upstate in accordance with South Carolina Code of Laws 23-6-430 by enforcing state criminal and traffic laws and policies, rules and regulations of the University. Protects persons and property while enforcing said rules, regulations and policies of the University of South Carolina Upstate campus. Provides highly visible patrols within the University’s sphere of influence.
- Patrol the University Campus to protect and secure person(s) or property while deterring crime and detecting violations of the law, to include but not limited to traffic control duties, investigating criminal violations and securing crime scenes for investigators; promoting and actively participating in community policing and securing all buildings on campus.
- Respond to all calls for service to include but not limited to emergencies, complaints, accidents, disturbances, medical calls, requests for car unlocks or battery jumps while taking appropriate action as needed in such cases and completing all necessary reports.
- Conduct highly visible patrols within the University’s sphere of influence (1/2 mile from campus borders) to assist Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Department patrols and calls for service including the five apartment complexes where many of our students reside.
- Make presentations to student organizations, faculty and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED; prefer Associates degree or Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice. Must be 21 years of age, be physically qualified and have no criminal record. Must pass a background investigation and complete the SC Criminal Justice Academy and be certified by the SC Law Enforcement Training Council before assuming police duties. Possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
Certification from SC Criminal Justice Academy in accordance with SC Code of Laws 23-6-430 and a Criminal Justice Degree.
$43,028 – $48,227; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/162296
The University of South Carolina is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
USC Upstate offers a valuable benefits package including but not limited to:
• Health and Life Insurance
• Retirement Programs
• Paid Tuition Program
• Dependent Scholarships
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Annual Leave
• Sick Leave
• 13 Paid Holidays (including an extended December holiday)
• Paid Parental Leave
• Professional Development Opportunities
• Wearing of beards is authorized.
• Outer protective vests are provided for officers as standard wear.
• All uniforms and duty shoes are paid for by USC Upstate.
• Built in overtime up to $ 7,000.00
• Free University tuition after six months of employment including up to four classes per year ($5,798.00 value) used at any of the University of South Carolina campuses.
• $25.00 annual fee for USC Upstate employee’s on-campus wellness center which includes an Olympic pool, free weights, weight machines, indoor track, aerobic classes and selectorized Matrix equipment.
• Police Officer Retirement System
• Advanced law enforcement training opportunities.