Retention Specialist – Grant
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Retention Specialist is a full-time 12 month staff position in the Mary Black College of Nursing. The Retention Specialist Is responsible for assisting HOPE Nursing Success Scholars and other students who have declared nursing as a major and are enrolled in lower division prerequisite nursing courses in achieving and maintaining a high academic performance. The Retention Specialist manages early alerts, prepares reports, and utilizes data to make recommendations and Implement retention initiatives, with special emphasis on students from disadvantaged and minority backgrounds.
- Monitors students academic performance, attendance, and academic progress.
- Develops and supports the nursing living learning community in collaboration with university housing and organizes the pre-immersion experience for lower division nursing students progressing to upper division nursing coursework.
- Manages early alerts for HOPE Nursing Success Scholars enrolled in the lower division, prepares reports, and utilizes data to make recommendations and implement initiatives for retention.
- Monitors student attendance, performance, and academic progress.
- Serves as liaison between faculty, staff, and students for retention efforts and initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with university housing to develop and maintain student engagement in a nursing living learning community.
- Develops affinity groups and schedules activities within the living learning community to build and sustain peer engagement.
- Coordinates, tracks, reports, and uses retention data research and analysis to identify obstacles to student achievement and retention.
- Properly conducts exit interviews with withdrawing and non-progressing students to determine reasons for withdrawal and methods to aid in retention.
- Reviews student records for retention issues; follow up on progress through personal contact and correspondence.
- Leads in the design, development and execution of workshops, seminars, pre-immersion experience, and events for HOPE Nursing Success Scholars.
- Works collaboratively with Nursing Success Coach to develop and maintain peer mentoring program.
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned in support of the school of nursing.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years related experience. A successful background check is required.
Master’s degree preferred. Advising experience in higher education preferred.
$35,568 – $37,080; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to: https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/126658
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.