You can’t live in Laurens County and not know of the devastation that occurred Sunday, December 20th.
The first incident was a fire at the Landau Apartments that displaced 15 people and took the life of a four year-old girl in a fire that broke out in the early morning hours.
While that fire was still smoldering, a fire broke out at a home in Joanna. The fire destroyed the home but thankfully the mother and four children escaped unharmed.
There is no time that is a good time for a fire.
Five days before Christmas makes all of this worse. But in every bad situation there is a silver lining and Laurens County businesses, and residents are proof of that.
Within hours, individual citizens took to social media to start the process of collecting basic needs and toys to make Christmas happen for the children.
LaurensCountyBUZZ established an account and the Clinton branch of Arthur State bank and the response from businesses, churches and individuals in Laurens County has been strong.
“Anyone wishing to support those in need can do so by contributing to the Landau Fire Fund,” said LaurensCountyBUZZ publisher Brenda Stewart.
Want to know how you can help?
In addition to financial support, toys can be dropped off at First Baptist Church in Clinton from 9-3 Tuesday and Wednesday. Clothes and other items can be dropped off at Clinton Elementary School from 11:00-1:00 Tuesday and Wednesday.
Information about some of the children is as follows (toys and or clothes appreciated):
- 8-month-old son – 6-9 month diapers
- 1-year-old girl -12-18 months clothes, size 5 diapers
- 2-year-old boy – shoe size 11 1.2, shirt 7 and pants 7
- 3-year-old girl – kids panties size 6, shirt size 5T, shoe – 13T, pants 5T
- 4-year-old boy – shoe size 3 ½, shirt 14 and pants 16
- 4-year-old girl – shoe size 3, shirt 8 and pants 10
- 6-year-old boy – size 8 clothes, shoes size 1.5
- 9-year-old boy – size 10/12 clothes, shoes size 3
- 1o-year-old boy – shoe size 11 men’s, shirt L, and pants 34/30
- TWO 11-year-old boys – size 10/12 clothes, shoes size 3
Financial contributions can be made at Arthur State Bank payable to the Landau Fire Fund (but as mentioned earlier, also supporting the Joanna family).
In a previous story the BUZZ listed businesses and individuals supporting those in need. The response today has been so overwhelming that we have decided to wait and list all who contribute (if they choose to acknowledge) in a future article.
The Christmas spirit is indeed alive in Laurens County.