Reeves Propels Blue Hose to Second Straight Victory over Big 10 FoeFebruary 26, 2023
Behind a pair of home runs and a four-hit performance from junior Dalton Reeves, the Presbyterian College baseball team earned its second win over a Big 10 School in as many days with an 8-6 victory over Michigan State on Sunday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex. Reeves tallied four hits with two doubles, two long balls, and five RBIs in the victory.
FINAL SCORE: Presbyterian 8, Michigan State 6
LOCATION: PC Baseball Complex (Clinton, S.C.)
RECORDS: Presbyterian (5-2) | Michigan State (4-3)
W: Charlie McDaniel (1-1) | L: Ryan Szczepaniak (0-1) | Save: Tanner Smith (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
– Michigan State scored in the opening frame with a two-run homer to take the early 2-0 lead.
– Reeves got the Blue Hose on the board in the home half of the first with an RBI double to cut the deficit to 2-1.
– PC evened it at two in the second with an RBI groundout by Brody Fahr.
– In the third, the Blue Hose gained the lead with a three-run frame started by Reeves’s with his second RBI double before a Jack Gorman RBI single made it 4-2. The inning was capped with an Evan Cuervo RBI double to push the lead to 5-2 after three.
– The Spartans cut the deficit to one, 5-4, with a two-run homer in the fourth inning before Michigan State evened it at five in the fifth with an RBI single.
– Reeves continued his hot day at the plate with his first home run of the season as he hit a two-run blast to right to push PC in front 7-5.
– The Blue Hose catcher connected on his second homer of the game in the seventh that, increased PC’s lead to three, 8-5.
– MSU added a solo homer in the eighth but could not get any closer as the Blue Hose earned the 8-6 win over the Spartans.
– Reeves led the Blue Hose with a career-high four hits as he tallied a pair of doubles and a pair of homers in the win.
Sunday marked his first career multi-homer game in a Blue Hose uniform and his third game with two doubles. He finally matched his career-high for RBIs in the victory with five.
– Fahr increased his hit streak to four on Sunday, with his two base hits in the contest marking his second multi-hit game of the young season.
Gorman and Kyle Decker have reached base safely in all seven games following Gorman and Decker both tallying hits this afternoon.
– Charlie McDaniel got in the win column with six innings and four strikeouts.
– Tanner Smith earned his second save of the young season as he recorded the final six outs with a pair of strikeouts, allowing one run en route to his save.
– The Blue Hose defeated MSU for the first time in three tries, as PC had dropped both prior decisions to the Spartans before Sunday’s victory.
– With Sunday’s win, PC joins Gardner-Webb among Big South schools as the only two league schools to have earned multiple Power Five wins thus far in 2023. Both schools have defeated Northwestern and Michigan State.
– PC hits the road for a non-conference bout on Tuesday against Georgia, with first pitch slated for 4 p.m. from Athens on SECN+. Georgia comes into the matchup on Tuesday after dropping its first game in its last six on Sunday afternoon with a 12-11 setback against Princeton on Sunday in Athens.
Photo credit: Tim Cowie/Tim Cowrie Photography