As part of SC Manufacturing Day at the Statehouse, the South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance (SCMA) outlined its legislative agenda and priorities for 2024.
SC Manufacturing Day at the Statehouse was created by SCMA to engage manufacturers from across South Carolina to highlight their work, share the impact they have in their communities, and advocate on behalf of the industry with the state’s elected officials. Additional activities included a proclamation ceremony with leadership from Lockheed Martin honoring the 50th anniversary of the F-16 Fighting Falcon (https://news.lockheedmartin.com/2024-01-30-State-of-South-Carolina-Declares-Jan-30-F-16-Fighting-Falcon-Day), which is exclusively manufactured in Greenville, SC , and elected officials were invited to experience the Lockheed Martin F-16 Cockpit Simulator Experience that is used to train pilots for national defense missions.
The agenda, developed and approved by South Carolina manufacturing leaders who serve on the SCMA Board of Directors, consists of 6 policy topics essential for strengthening and maintaining a pro-manufacturing environment in the Palmetto State. The areas of focus include:
1. Workforce Development and Education
2. Tax and Economic Development
3. Legal Reform
4. Environmental Policy
5. Energy Policy
The full details of the SCMA’s 2024 legislative agenda can be viewed here (https://myscma.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/2024-SCMA-Legislative-Agenda.pdf).
“Manufacturers have led the way in economic growth and prosperity by making historic investments and job creation in South Carolina,” said Sara Hazzard, President and CEO of the South Carolina. “This is due to our pro-business environment, Team SC approach to economic development, and skilled and ready workforce who thrive in highly technical careers. SCMA’s legislative agenda serves as a strategic blueprint for the policies manufacturers in South Carolina will need to continue propelling the Palmetto State into the future.”
Recent South Carolina manufacturing facts include:
• An annual economic impact of more than $206 billion
• 30% of South Carolina jobs are tied to the industry
• Site Selection Magazine named South Carolina the #1 State for Manufacturing in 2023
• More than 41,000 new jobs in manufacturing have been announced since 2020
• More than $22 billion in capital investments have been announced since 2020
• Manufacturing provides a significant tax base – 38% of the State’s General Fund comes from manufacturing
• More than 6,000 manufacturing facilities operate in South Carolina
• South Carolina manufacturing jobs pay well with a 33% higher pay rate than the state average.
South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance
The South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance is the only statewide organization dedicated exclusively to the interests of manufacturers. Its mission is to strengthen and advance South Carolina manufacturing by advocating for our members, fostering a world-class workforce, and bringing together manufacturers to connect, share, and solve industry challenges. The SCMA membership is comprised of more than 200 manufacturing companies that represent more than 100,000 associates in South Carolina.