South Carolina Regulation 7-702.51 has been temporarily suspended, allowing current holders of a valid On or Off-Premises Beer/Wine Permit who meet certain requirements to sell sealed containers of beer and wine for curbside/drive-thru pickup for off-premises consumption.
Qualifying retailers may now offer curbside delivery or pickup of beer and wine through a curbside service under the following conditions:
- The retailer must have a clearly designated curbside/drive-thru area abutting or adjacent to their business.
- Customers purchasing the beer/wine must provide a valid government ID at the time of pickup proving they are 21 or older.
- Retailers cannot allow curbside/drive-thru pickup of beer/wine to an intoxicated person or to anyone under the age of 21.
- Employees delivering the sealed containers of beer/wine to customer vehicles for curbside/drive-thru pickup must be 18 years of age or older.
- Curbside delivery and pickup of alcoholic liquors, as defined by South Carolina Code of Laws Section 61-6-20, as amended, is prohibited.
- This waiver does not authorize or apply to open containers or to delivery services, including third-party delivery.
This temporary suspension of Regulation 7-702.5 is only effective while South Carolina remains in the officially declared COVID-19 State of Emergency. Learn more about Alcohol Beverage Licensing at dor.sc.gov/tax/abl/licenses and more about this temporary relief in Information Letter 20-5.
“We hope temporarily allowing curbside/drive-thru pickup of beer and wine will help businesses as we all navigate these uncertain and challenging times,” said Powell. “We appreciate taxpayers’ patience and understanding as we work to meet our mission and provide the best service possible in this rapidly changing environment.”
SCDOR resources are available for taxpayers during this period of social distancing:
Use the SCDOR’s available online services. Visit MyDORWAY, the SCDOR’s free online tax system, at MyDORWAY.dor.sc.gov, to securely manage your South Carolina taxes from a smartphone or computer.
Help protect yourself and prevent the spread of COVID-19 by calling or emailing the SCDOR instead of visiting in person. Find phone numbers and email addresses at dor.sc.gov/contact.
17-702.5. Drive-In/Drive-Thru Establishments Prohibited. A permit holder, employee of a permit holder, or agent of a holder must not sell or deliver beer or wine to anyone who remains in a motor vehicle during the transaction. This regulation is specifically intended to prohibit the sale of beer and wine at drive-in/drive-thru establishments and on a curb service basis.