SeamonWhiteside, a full-service land design firm with offices throughout the Carolinas, spearheads innovation in landscape architecture and civil engineering at Nexton, South Carolina’s most cutting-edge and walkable community located in Summerville. Advocating for safe and sustainable design, the firm has helped design a thriving community for a post-pandemic future.
While working closely with Nexton’s developer, Newland, SeamonWhiteside has infused its innovation throughout all community areas, including residential planning, full construction of Downtown Nexton’s mixed-use property, and the design of Nexton’s commercial parcels, Midtown Club, and outdoor spaces and parks. The firm’s commitment to sustainable design has helped elevate Nexton to its current award-winning status as the 2020 Best Master Planned Community in South Carolina by the Home Builders Association of South Carolina.
“Throughout our involvement over the many years, we have focused on multi-modal mobility in every project at Nexton,“ said Mary Martinich, SeamonWhiteside team leader and Landscape Architect. “We advocate for sustainability through our designs, like including bike and golf cart parking in front of the new amenity space Midtown Club or integrating natural spaces and trails that connect neighborhood amenities, so it’s enjoyable, healthy and useful for the community.”
The firm is a part of several forward-thinking projects at Nexton, including:
- Nexton Square: The world-class community retail center featuring shops and restaurants including Halls Chophouse, Taco Boy, D’Allesandro’s Pizza, and more.
- Regional Nexton Parks: Larger community parks on 19 acres with playfields, recreation ponds, running trails, disc golf and an event pavilion.
- Brighton Park: The neighborhood’s largest open space features a five-acre park with 12-foot tall berms, a playground with built-in slides, and an open space with string lights and picnic tables.
- Midtown: Nexton’s second neighborhood with 2,500 homes across six districts with seven acres of health and wellness amenities, flanked by a pond system.
- Midtown Parks: The neighborhood’s outdoor spaces, named after water themes, feature disc golf, bocce, corn hole, gardens, native plantings, play berms, and flexible field space.
- Midtown Club: The expansive 8,000-square-foot amenity center located in the heart of Nexton’s new neighborhood that features a resort pool, an open pavilion, a playground, both a formal and play lawn, golf cart parking, and pickleball and tennis courts.
As a leader in engineering and site design, SeamonWhiteside has nailed down how to do a lot with a little. The firm was recently an award recipient from the American Society of Landscape Architects for its park planning and creative design that transformed a simple storm pond into an urban park with an amphitheater.
“The pandemic has shifted the entire landscape of this industry now that people have prioritized the use of outdoor spaces,” said Martinich. “It’s our job to ensure the environment facilitates this shift through our designs so the community can move past this pandemic safely.”
In October 2020, the community unveiled its next development chapter with Midtown, featuring more than 2,500 single-family homes, townhomes, and multifamily residences. As the lead civil engineer and landscape architect, SeamonWhiteside will continue to keep Nexton as the leader of modern community design while at the forefront of adapting to the public’s future needs.
SeamonWhiteside (SW+) is a full-service land design firm providing master planning, civil engineering, landscape architecture, urban design, land development management services and permit coordination to public and private clients throughout the Carolinas. SW+ believes that crafting great places is achieved by blending a deep understanding of a client’s vision, strong relationships, collaborative design, and a passionate team. This approach results in innovative spaces that enrich lives and leave a lasting legacy for future generations. Headquartered in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, SeamonWhiteside also has offices in Summerville, Greenville, Spartanburg and Charlotte, North Carolina. For more information on SW+, visit www.seamonwhiteside.com.