Four Burnette Shutt & McDaniel attorneys are honored in the new edition of “Best Lawyers of America,” and an additional three are included in the companion piece, “Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch.”
Nekki Shutt led the way with awards in nine practice areas, including Lawyer of the Year honors for the Columbia area in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law.
Published annually since 1983, “Best Lawyers” is one of the oldest guides to the legal profession. Its goal is to be an unbiased reference by providing meaningful peer-reviewed evaluations of attorneys.
This year’s honorees and their practice areas:
• M. Malissa Burnette: Civil Rights Law, Employment Law – Individuals, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Mediation
• Nekki Shutt: Lawyer of the Year, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Civil Rights Law, Commercial Litigation, Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – ERISA, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Qui Tam Law
• Jack E. Cohoon: Litigation – Labor and Employment
• Stuart Andrews: Health Care Law
• Katherine Myers: Criminal Defense: General Practice, Ones to Watch
• Grant Burnette LeFever: Civil Rights Law, Education Law, Family Law, Labor and Employment Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment Law, Ones to Watch
• Sarah J.M. Cox: Appellate Practice, Labor and Employment Law – Employee, and Litigation – Labor and Employment, Ones to Watch
The firm’s attorneys have a long history of inclusion in “Best Lawyers.” Andrews is marking his 20th year, while Burnette has been included yearly since 2005. Shutt has been honored annually since 2010.
The “Best Lawyers” selection process begins with a nomination, followed by peer review from attorneys in the same geographic region and practice area. Independent research verifies attorneys’ credentials. The selection process for “Ones to Watch,” which is limited to attorneys with less than 10 years’ practice, is the same.
About Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, PA
Located in Columbia’s historic business district, Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, PA’s attorneys are licensed to practice in all South Carolina courts and at all levels of federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. The firm represents clients in a range of areas, including employment, environmental, education, criminal and family law. They also handle employee benefits and ERISA matters, civil rights cases, privacy and data protection issues and government matters such as eminent domain, land use and zoning. Learn more at burnetteshutt.law.