Terminix releases Top 15 Mosquito Cities listJune 20, 2022
Charlotte, Columbia, and Charleston Top Three Metros
There are several constants with summer in the south, from humidity to heavy rain and the annual arrival of pesky mosquitoes. In recognition of National Mosquito Control Awareness Week (June 19-25, 2022), Terminix Service, Inc. (TSI), the nation’s tenth-largest pest control company, today unveiled the top 15 cities in the Carolinas and Central Savannah River Area where mosquitoes will be most prevalent.
The latest rankings are based on mosquito service calls received by the 56 local branches throughout the Carolinas and the Central Savannah River Area.
“Heavy rain and humidity are an inevitable part of summer in the south, and unfortunately, these conditions create the ideal environment for mosquitoes to thrive,” said Kevin Hathorne, technical director of Terminix Service, Inc. “As vector pests that can carry diseases such as West Nile and Zika Virus, we take the opportunity each summer to educate everyone about taking preventative steps such as minimizing standing water around your home and having your yard professionally treated throughout the summer.”
The top three metros with the most mosquito activity this season are Charlotte, N.C., Columbia, S.C., and Charleston, S.C.
The entire top 15 list includes:
Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Hilton Head, S.C.
Rock Hill, S.C.
Terminix encourages everyone to be proactive in reducing mosquitoes by taking the following steps:
- Disposing of old tires, buckets, drums, bottles, or any water-holding containers.
- Cleaning debris from rain gutters, ditches, culverts, and outdoor drains so water can flow properly.
- Ensuring swimming pools and ornamental ponds are properly maintained.
- Emptying and replacing water in birdbaths, plant pots, or drip trays weekly.
- Checking around outdoor spigots and air conditioner units for pools of water and repairing leaks.
- Filling in tree holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
- Keeping grass cut and shrubs trimmed where adult mosquitoes may rest.
- Sealing out mosquitoes by ensuring windows and door screens are in good condition.
- To help prevent bites, wear light-colored clothing, long sleeve shirts, and long pants when possible, and use personal insect repellents that contain at least 20% DEET.
While Terminix cannot guarantee customers will not get bitten by mosquitoes or contract a mosquito-borne illness, by significantly reducing the mosquito population in a given area, everyone can reduce the chances of bites occurring. For more information on mosquito management services, visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.
About Terminix Service, Inc.
For 75 years, our customers have trusted Terminix Service, Inc., for the very best in termite and pest control protection for their homes and businesses. With annual revenue in excess of $140 million, the family-owned and operated Terminix Service, Inc. is the largest franchise of the Terminix International franchise system and the tenth-largest pest control company in North America. Terminix Service, Inc. operates in South Carolina, western North Carolina, and the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia. Visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.