To mark the official beginning of Summer, Terminix Service, Inc., (TSI), the nation’s tenth-largest pest control company, unveils the top 15 cities in the Carolinas and Central Savannah River Area where mosquitoes will be most prevalent.
“Mosquitoes are inevitable this time of year and we encourage everyone to be proactive in protecting themselves from mosquito-borne illness by reducing the mosquito population in their yard,” shares Kevin Hathorne, technical director of Terminix Service, Inc. “In addition to minimizing standing water around your home, it’s important to get your yard professionally treated throughout the summer.”
According to mosquito service calls, the top three metros with the most mosquito activity this season are Columbia, S.C., Charlotte, N.C., and Mount Pleasant, S.C. The entire top 15 list includes:
3. Mount Pleasant
7. Rock Hill
14. Myrtle Beach
In addition to ruining outdoor barbeques, mosquitoes are a public health threat due to their ability to carry diseases. The good news is that there appear to be no signs that mosquitoes can carry and transmit COVID-19.
“There is no evidence that mosquitoes can transmit COVID-19,” said Hathorne. “However, mosquitoes are known vector pests, which means that they can still carry diseases such as West Nile and Zika viruses.”
Hathorne says steps to reducing mosquitoes include:
- Disposing of old tires, buckets, drums, bottles, or any water-holding containers.
- Cleaning debris from rain gutters, ditches, culverts, and outdoor drains so water can flow properly.
- Ensuring swimming pools and ornamental ponds are properly maintained and that water in birdbaths, plant pots or drip trays is emptied and replaced after every rainfall.
- Checking around outdoor faucets, air conditioner units, and repairing leaks.
- Filling in tree holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
- Keeping grass cut and shrubs well trimmed where adult mosquitoes may rest.
- Sealing out mosquitoes by ensuring windows and door screens are in good condition.
- Wearing light-colored clothing, long sleeve shirts, and long pants when possible.
- Using personal insect repellents that contain at least 20% DEET.
While Terminix cannot guarantee customers will not get bitten by mosquitoes or contract a mosquito-borne illness, by significantly reducing the mosquito population in a given area, everyone can reduce the chances of bites occurring. For more information on mosquito management services, visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.
About Terminix Service, Inc.
For 70 years, our customers have trusted Terminix Service, Inc., for the very best in termite and pest control protection for their homes and businesses. With annual revenue in excess of $120 million, the family owned and operated Terminix Service, Inc. is the largest franchisee of the Terminix International franchise system and the tenth-largest pest control company in North America. Terminix Service, Inc. operates in South Carolina, western North Carolina and the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia. Visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.