Termites thrive in warm, wet environments. Unfortunately many homeowners in the southeast, including those in Columbia can expect to see higher termite activity than normal due to the above-average temperatures experienced during the fall and winter.
March 8-14 is National Termite Awareness Week and Terminix Service, Inc. is spreading the word with 10 preventative measures to protect your home from subterranean termites.
“Our service area is accustomed to milder fall and winter weather than other parts of the country,” said Terminix Technical Director Kevin Hathorne. “However, our entire area has experienced an abnormally warm winter. As a result, we want to inform the public that termites stayed more active than normal throughout the winter and combined with the additional rainfall, are experiencing the ideal environment to thrive.”
“Termites cause an average of $5 billion in damage every year, which equates to roughly $8,000 that you can be on the hook for on your home,” continued Hathorne. “We feel an obligation to inform the public about this increased risk to health and property and help them take the necessary steps to prevent it from happening to them.”
Preventative measures include:
1. Repair plumbing leaks.
2. Make sure gutters and downspouts are not clogged or damaged and are directing water away from the foundation. Install gutters if
you don’t have them.
3. Point sprinklers away from your foundation.
4. Prevent any pooling water next to your foundation by re-grading the soil so that water flows away from your house, or install a
drainage system like a French drain.
5. Keep your roof in good shape and free of leaks.
6. Repair and replace damaged siding and flashing.
7. Store firewood, scrap lumber, or any other wooden products as far from your house as possible.
8. Do not use an excessive amount of mulch or pine straw around the foundation.
9. Trim any adjacent bushes and trees.
10. Make sure your crawl space has adequate ventilation and a moisture barrier, like the kind offered through the Terminix Humidi-Seal
Locally-owned Terminix Service, Inc. provides a termite protection plan with the strongest guarantee in the business. For more information, visit www.trustterminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.
About Terminix Service, Inc.
For over 70 years, customers have trusted Terminix Service, Inc., for the very best in termite and pest control protection for their homes and businesses. With annual revenue in excess of $120 million, the family owned and operated Terminix Service, Inc. is the largest franchisee of the Terminix International franchise system and the ninth largest pest control company in North America. Terminix Service, Inc. operates in South Carolina, western North Carolina and the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia. Visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.